ChildCare Action Project:
Christian Analysis of American Culture (CAP)
Entertainment Media Analysis Report
The Specialist (1994)
CAP Score: 25
CAP ID: 2.04
Thomas A. Carder
: To fully understand this report you should first visit the topics suggested by
the CAP Home Page Table of Contents.
Five of the six CAP Investigation Areas were saturated with unacceptable material in the first few minutes of The Specialist. Human life was cheap. Respect for God and clean language was non-existant. Murder and death were the code of existence. Exceptionally foul language occurred nearly every three to four minutes.
Wanton Violence/Crime (W) shrank to a very low score due to
Impunity/Hate (I) score was zapped because of frequent exceptionally foul language(1) and punk intimidation of people on a bus.
- a child watching her parents being murdered
- a hoodlum ordering someone to be killed
- threatening murder by explosion and fire
- disregard for a child's life
- extended physical violence
- a man hitting a woman and other physical beatings
- threats of women
- police corruption
- planning murder
The starting 100 points in Sex/Homosexuality (S) were evaporated by
The Drugs/Alcohol (D) score fared relatively well in comparison to the scores in the other Investigation Areas -- only drunkenness and nightclub glamor and allure stole points in this scoring area.
- multiple views of nude female posteriors
- removal of clothing to the skin
- ghosting of female anatomy through translucent clothing
- a man on top of a woman in bed partially nude
- a man and a woman nude in a shower
- touching of private regoins clothed and nude
- exposed underwear
- suggestive talk
- sexual intercourse
The resultant score in the Offense to God (O) Investigation Area(2) was drained due to
The Murder/Suicide (M) score was chewed up by the presentation of
- the use of God's name in vain with and without the three/four letter word vocabulary
- holding a priest at gunpoint and touching private regions in a church
- thanking God and praising Him for deaths by murder
In accordance with the comparative baseline database, The Specialist was equivalent to R-rated material in Wanton Violence/Crime, Impunity/Hate, Sex/Homosexuality, Offense to God, and Murder/Suicide. The movie presented material equivalent to G material in Drugs/Alcohol. Thus, The Specialist was equivalent to the comparative baseline data corresponding to 83% R-rated material and 17% G-rated material.
- murder by boiling
- vengful murder
- murder of a child by political assassination
- graphic murder with blood splattering and a visible hole in the victim's head
- multiple deaths by explosion and fire
Below is the table showing the scoring in each of the Investigation Areas plus the Final Score drawn from the actual CAP Report. In addition, the number of examples per hour of unacceptable material in each of the Investigation Areas is provided.
(1) As noted in CAP Special Report-0001, "Investigation Area and Scoring Trend" Impunity/Hate was the strongest presence in all four movie classifications. I pray you will find time to read Special Report-0001. It has a strong revelation about the entertainment media.
(2) The use of the three/four letter word vocabulary is incorporated into the Impunity/Hate Investigation Area. The use of God's name in vain with and without the three/four letter word vocabulary is incorporated into the Offense to God Investigation Area.
Additional reviews of this movie may be located at "Movie Review Query Engine at Telerama."
The ChildCare Action Project (CAP) is a nonprofit Christian ministry. We rely on public support. If you wish to contribute to the CAP, please send your donations to
ChildCare Action Project
Post Office Box 177
Granbury, TX 76048-0177
Tax exemption applies in accordance with Section 501(c)(3) of the Internal Revenue Service Tax Codes.
Please feel free to write to us.
You are welcome to
Go back to the CAP Reports Page
Top of the CAP Home Page
CAP Table of Contents
or leave me an email message or comment at
Thank you for visiting us and may God bless you. Prayerfully, we will provide you with some of the most revealing commentary and investigative reporting you have ever read.
In the name of Jesus:
Lord, Master, Teacher, Savior, God.
Thomas A. Carder
ChildCare Action Project: Christian Analysis of American Culture (CAP)
Copyright ChildCare Action Project (CAP)