ChildCare Action Project:
Christian Analysis of American Culture (CAP)
Entertainment Media Analysis Report
MPAA: PG. CAP Score: 65. CAP ID: 0.76
Thomas A. Carder
: To fully understand this report you should first visit the topics suggested by
the CAP Home Page Table of Contents.
North was drastically severe and quick at getting onto the unacceptable material which seem to saturate PG and PG-13 movies. The movie was a great success at keeping drugs/alcohol and murder/suicide out. North would have been a delightful and funny light-hearted movie if it were not for the violence, impunity, and sex.
The Wanton Violence/Crime (W) score fell sharply due to unacceptable material such as planning and repeatedly attempting murder and realistic gunfire at children.
The score in Impunity/Hate (I) dropped to zero because of, for example,
About half of the 100 starting points in Sex/Homosexuality (S) were vaporized due to
- foul language by a child(1)
- adolescent talk of having power to control and inciting children to riot against parents
- unearned autonomy and independence in children with freedom from accountability
- adolescent blackmail of parents
- encouragement to lie
- a child screaming control language at a parent
- running away as a control technique
- portrayal that a child should be able to get different parents upon demand
- portrayal that failure in all aspects of life is a natural consequence of uncaring parents
- equating "parent" with "uncaring" as a logical definition of being a parent: to be a parent, you must be uncaring -- protrayal of parents as subservient to children and as failures because they are parents
- lying to avoid accountability
- a child getting into the car of a stranger
The Drugs/Alcohol (D) score was delightfully free of noted examples of unacceptable material.
- full view of a nude male posterior with talk about the subject's "crack"
- child eye contact with the nude chest of a "3rd world" woman while the camera field included her nude posterior
- talk of sexual intercourse
- talk of the physical responses associated with orgasm
- an adult undressing to his underwear in front of a child
- revealing clothing in a suggestive position
Offense to God (O) lost a few points due to the use of God's name in vain(2) and equating adolescent controls with God's authority.
Murder/Suicide (M) lost no points.
In accordance with the comparative baseline database, North was equivalent to R-rated material in Impunity/Hate. The movie presented material equivalent to PG-13 material in Wanton Violence/Crime and Sex/Homosexuality. North was equivalent to PG material in Offense to God. And the movie was equivalent to G material in Drugs/Alcohol and Murder/Suicide. Thus, Mother's Boys was equivalent to the comparative baseline data corresponding to 17% R-rated material, 33% PG-13 material, 17% PG-rated material, and 33% G-rated material.
Below is the table showing the scoring in each of the Investigation Areas plus the Final Score drawn from the actual CAP Report. In addition, the number of examples per hour of unacceptable material in each of the Investigation Areas is provided.
(1) As noted in CAP Special Report-0001, "Investigation Area and Scoring Trend" Impunity/Hate was the strongest presence in all four movie classifications. I pray you will find time to read Special Report-0001. It has a strong revelation about the entertainment media.
(2) The use of the three/four letter word vocabulary is incorporated into the Impunity/Hate Investigation Area. The use of God's name in vain with and without the three/four letter word vocabulary is incorporated into the Offense to God Investigation Area.
Additional reviews of this movie may be located at "Movie Review Query Engine at Telerama."
The ChildCare Action Project (CAP) is a nonprofit Christian ministry. We rely on public support. If you wish to contribute to the CAP, please send your donations to
ChildCare Action Project
Post Office Box 177
Granbury, TX 76048-0177
Tax exemption applies in accordance with Section 501(c)(3) of the Internal Revenue Service Tax Codes.
Please feel free to write to us.
You are welcome to
Go back to the CAP Reports Page
Top of the CAP Home Page
CAP Table of Contents
or leave me an email message or comment at
Thank you for visiting us and may God bless you. Prayerfully, we will provide you with some of the most revealing commentary and investigative reporting you have ever read.
In the name of Jesus:
Lord, Master, Teacher, Savior, God.
Thomas A. Carder
ChildCare Action Project: Christian Analysis of American Culture (CAP)
Copyright ChildCare Action Project (CAP)